I was pumped for my trip to Michigan because I thought I would return with tons of great beers that I can’t get around here, but unfortunately, the bottle shop I had planned to hit has gone in the wrong direction with its selection since I was last there. I could have made an epic run to Grand Rapids, about an hour north of where I was, but my focus was being on vacation, not driving all over the state looking for a good beer store, so I made due with what I had access to. All I decided to buy was a mixed 6-pack. Lame, I know, but I wasn’t going to spend money on stuff I can get right here in KC! My selections:
- Short’s Brewing Company Soft Parade – a high gravity ale made with blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries
- Short’s Brewing Company Huma Lupa Licious – “a complex malt and hop theme park in your mouth.”
- Bell’s Cherry Stout – I know, you can get that here, but not for $1.99
- Lagunitas Maximus IPA – 72 IBU’s and 7.5%ABV
- Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold – probably the only Great Lakes beer I haven’t had yet, I was hoping to score a 6-pack but this is all they had left
I also got the chance to sit at New Holland Brewing Company for a little while, but the weather was cold and pouring sheets of rain, so I found myself not really in the mood to drink much. I had a smoked lager and a glass of Night Tripper, their imperial stout, both of which I will review later. My GF had a $16 mint julep (more on that later, too) and I was highly tempted to try their cucumber-infused gin, but I was a little gun shy because of previous bad experiences with their gin, so I passed.